Monday, March 30, 2009

Good-Bye Paul!

Keith has Bunions. Well had. Well, still has one. They have lived with him since 1992. So about 17 years. He hasn't bothered them other then the daily toe popping. Until this year. I personally believe that if he hadn't dislocated his third toe last year Paul (the bunion) would still be alive and let's say kicking. When Malyke lived with us he named them for Keith, Paul was the Left and Onion was the Right. Since our "dear" President isn't extending the Space Shuttle our insurance and benefits are changing next year, and with that means no elective surgeries for us, or maybe babies for that matter but don't get me started on politics. So why not get it over with now. 3-6 weeks off work and the Doctor could fix his bunion and the dislocated toe at the same time. 2 for the price of 1! Keith picked St. Patrick's Day as the big day and he was very anxious. They had to give him a LOT of "Verset" to calm him down before they could put him under. He was only under for an hour. When he woke up he could hear them trying to figure out how get the Ipod to play, and after practicing to talk in a whisper Keith said "I could sing for you guys if you want?" The doctor said he was awake from that point on. The surgery took a total of 2 hours. Before the surgery Keith said to me "I will only need your help for the first couple of days" I don't think he had any idea what he was in for and that was apparent after the first day home. The pain of the whole thing was most shocking. We were back in the doctors office two days later to have them readjust his meds and then just the simple things that he thought he would be able to do like bathe. He thought I can do this and after 2 baths, I don't think he ever wants to do that again. He is getting more mobile and testing my limits, I'm sorry, his limits more and more each day. He has two more weeks with no weight on that foot what so ever and then 2 weeks of more crutches but some weight can be applied and then it's 4 weeks of tennis shoes. He has a pin sticking out of the top of his third toe that will come out in 2 weeks and a screw in his big toe that most likely will have to come out in 4-8 weeks. Addison is very good with his "Boo Boo Chicken Foot" and after two weeks of Daddy home, we have 3 more to go. I think Addison is really enjoying having her Daddy home during the day to color with and watch movies with as long as there is popcorn in the big bowl. DISCLAIMER: Some of the following Pictures are a tad disgusting!

Paul before he was chopped off!
At home right after Surgery

After the first week. He get's incredible reception with that antenna

14 staples in the big toe and 6 in the third toe

The Happy Patient before the nerve block wore off!

2 comments:

Taryn said...

YOU SHOULD PUT SOME SORT OF WARNING LABEL ON THIS POST..... GOOD GOSH I ALMOST THREW UP. AND I HAVE A LARGER THAN AVERAGE SOLID STOMACH. 3X THE SIZE ACTUALLY. YIKES KEITH. ARE YOU FEELING A LITTLE LONELY WITH ONE OF YOUR BEST PALS MISSING. HANG IN THERE KID, I HEAR THEY GROW BACK. J/K HA HA HA

GatorCupcake said...

I agree! I was not prepared to see that!